Saturday 5 March 2011

Wrong Tones! "Mutual Orgasm" Chinese Gaffe

This is too funny not to share, as I'm currently learning Chinese.  On the importance of using the right tones when speaking Chinese:
Since Mandarin is a tonal language with many homonyms, it is easy to use the wrong tones and end up saying something unintended.  Sometimes these unintended utterances can be quite embarrassing. 
For example, the former Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd once told his Chinese colleague [in a meeting with multiple Chinese speakers] that "China and Australia are currently experiencing fantastic mutual orgasm..."
[...] 
My old copy of Lonely Planet also has a few examples, including mixing up the tones of wǒ gǎn mào (I have a cold) with wǒ gàn māo (I copulate with cats).  And the author once asked a waitress if she had cài huā (veneral disease) instead of huā cài (cauliflower).  Very embarrassing!
Source: http://mandarin.about.com/od/educationlearning/a/Embarrassing-Mandarin-Mistakes.htm

Kevin Rudd makes light of the gaffe years later:
"Ever since then our Chinese friends have remembered my visit to Beijing."
http://www.theage.com.au/national/mutual-orgasm-the-china-affair-burnt-in-pms-memory-20090828-f1g0.html


This is also funny, with regard to listening skills and proper pronunciation when learning a new language: 

7 comments:

  1. Errr... That is, 练习,再练习.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew what Rudd actually said, because I can't think of how these things would be homophonous.

    共同高潮 vs what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't know. Perhaps the author of the first piece (or I) was making an incorrect inference. Maybe it wasn't a tonal mistake, but actually just the wrong word/s. Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe he meant 共同高低

    or maybe he was using the wrong word/idea and tones: 共同高超

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing he just said 共同高潮 with the sense of 高潮 as peak or climax, without realizing its sexier connotations. Shows how (un)laid he got. No wonder he's so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That makes sense. Mutual peaks. Fo' sho'.

    ReplyDelete